Friday, July 21, 2006

unusual violence

Thusday morning there were reports of two men killed two villages down from me, in Katunga. Supposidly these men had stolen nets from a different man on the mainland. Therefore this man who's nets were stolen sent his workers to kill these two men. Violence of this sort is not normal on the islands. I ran into the chief police officer of the islands thursday night and asked him if they had found the men. He said they were hoping that night. He also stated we have no reason to fear... I do feel very safe...no worries mom! The next morning, Friday, as I walked down to take the public boat into town many of the local villagers were waiting on the shorline, while off in the lake I saw 4-boats moving very quickly around. The public boat was going no where. I found out that these were police officers and that they had the suspects, but were not wanting to land the boat because the people on the shore wanted to beat and kill the suspects. The boats finally landed and six or seven suspects were taken for questioning onto the police station on the island. These men had thick ropes tied around their wrists. The men on the shore remained calm and did not touch the suspects as they went through the camp; they only followed them. The public boat started loading once the men were out of site and we set off for the mainland. Later that night the suspects were taken to prison on the mainland for more questioning, and I will ask the chief more details when I return to the island this morning. Pray for these men!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home