Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Boat Trip

What an adventure to bring you this update... let me tell you about it... its really not that exciting but funny to me... this morning as I precieve we are departing, I think to myself, how wonderful only a few people on the public transport this morning, we will have a nice relaxing 2-hour ride into the mainland. I grab my book and begin reading. (I traveled alone this morning, and did not know anyone on board nor can I really converse with anyone because of the language barrior besides a simple greeting.) To my suprise I hear the engine shut off as we drift back to the shore line of the island for a man to run to the bathroom I think (I closed my eyes) and grab some food. Then off we were, only to the next village on the same island to pick up a women, a soda and a chapati. Then we were really off. but as I set my book aside I realize we are heading right back to lingira (the side I live on). As I understand, it is not cost effective to take the boat into the mainland (we had to few people), we must wait for another island boat to come take us. 30 minutes later, the other boat arrives packed full already and ready to recieive the rest of us. I hear Mzungu (meaning travelor/ white person) and I smile and fear for about a second and then sit on the boat edge and push my body onto the other boat. this boat was packed and I was the only Mzungu! As I waited for the food items and other people to transfer to the new boat I found a talapia fish at my feet.Nice! Now keep in mind, all of this took 2 hours... imagine the time!! But we finally set sail for the mainland and we were almost there when we are stopped by the boat police! and of course after addressing the captain of the boat for having no life perserverers the police told me I too should have one on. (the boat captains cannot afford them for people and the police know this... the police were just looking to fine him to get some money. ) After this my travels were smooth sailing. I have made a friend at the landing site that carry's me in (everyone gets carried off the boat... it is a source of income for men), he spots me right away and takes me in. I find a boda boda (motor bike) that offers me a fair price (i dind't even have to negotiate!) and I was on mainstreet and sitting at this interenet cafe! Four hours later and I have arrived to do email ;) what is usually a 2-hour public transport trip has turned into a 4plus transport. And i smile and say to myself this is Africa.

Because of time I know have to go back to the island, but expect another update monday with hopefully much more details about what is happening here. I have to take the public boat back now !! xoxoxoxoxooxo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home