Monday, April 23, 2007

Exodus

Exodus

So I made it! The Song of Songs was a success because I was faithful to complete to the best of my ability ;) I had so much fun teaching it and I really believe Gods favor and delight was on the teaching and ministering to people in a new way. I was able to teach it in the four days given on Kirewe Island. The best teaching came at Namiti. I wasn’t planning on teaching there, but a pastor approached me after my first day at Kirewe and asked if I could teach in the mornings at Namiti since the afternoons were at Kirewe. Namiti was so good. I didn’t have as much time to teach at Namiti, only 2-days about a total of 5-hours including translation, but it was so good because I was free to more or less preach on the song of songs because there was no way they were going to get all of the detail of the bible study. So namiti still got the whole package, and in my eyes the best package out of all three I spoke at because I had freedom to be me and I didn’t feel the pressure to define all the little details. I loved it and it was so much fun!

So I have a new appreciation for the book of exodus and for the people of Kirewe and Namiti islands. I never really realized how real the plagues could be until this weekend. As I was walking down to the beach to get into the boat to travel about a mile to Kirewe island from Namiti (where I was sleeping) it started snowing…. Now I know I am living on the equator… so this couldn’t possibly be feasible! But, it wasn’t the cold snow we are used to it was the snow of the lake flies of Lake Victoria. They come so thick that from a distance they look like a low-lying cloud blown in by the wind. I was experiencing a plague of lake flies. No joke. And they would get anywhere…. Fly in my eardrum, into my eye (by the end of my time I had to get some medicated eye-drops because my eyes were so irritated), my mouth if it was caught open even for a second (it was good protein)! Later in the night while the fight of the lake flies was still strong, I played frogger! Everywhere I stepped I was attempting to avoid a frog, the unfortunate ones got squashed but they are amazingly resilient and they bounced right back. Others as I walked couldn’t resist kissing my feet by jumping on me, I was hoping for one to turn into a prince but I was unwilling to reciprocate the gesture! Then as sleep was trying to overtake me the plague of the cockroaches was on! Now these are no ordinary cockroaches… these things are the length of my thumb, not as thick but slightly wider! I’ve realized I have been here to long, when I lose hope trying to kill them and I just allow them to sleep with me… One was trying to make a home or something in my hair…I flicked him away and kept on sleeping! You know for me it was an adventure because I don’t live this way everyday, so I can smile and laugh. To live this way everyday of your life is a real sacrifice and I am thankful for the experience and appreciate the men and women who don’t even realize the sacrifice they make because it is such a way of life.

So my last days will be filled with helping with administration details for different people and organizations. I am helping my friend, Robert, on his community-based organization, BISCA (Buvuma Islands saving and credit association), we are working on a brochure to give out to the people interested in bisca wanting to know more infor. I am helping Karina with her non-profit government organization that she is starting up by continuing with the organizing of parts of it…especially the aspects of the secondary school and the child development. And lastly I will continue to stand with Olive and Okoro and help them budget and make a plan for the future.

And most importantly I will be saying all of my goodbyes to those who have come so close to my heart. I’ll be packing up and preparing to come home!

1 Comments:

Blogger Shilohseye said...

Hello Mandy!
It's been a couple years since I've been to Namiti. I really enjoyed your photo's. We have traversed some of the same roads! Thanks so much..Pastor Kim

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home