Thursday, January 18, 2007

In a moment...

…in a moment our life can be gone. Today was one of the surprises you never want. I was walking down main street on my way back to the computer to print out some documents for the secondary school, when I realized my favorite ‘coffee shop’ was closed, the source cafe. I stood starring at the signs at the door for I don’t know how long. I got lost at what I read and saw. My friend Adam, from Oregon who is giving three years to work at this café had just died the night before in an accident. The funeral was at 4pm. I stood. I didn’t know what to do. I wanted to cry, my eyes got big and heavy. I was in shock. Adam, 28… great man, funny, never took himself to serious, loved God … gave me a ride on his motorcycle… was my first ‘muzungu’ friend when I first came and was sick for the first time…. Godfrey another friend that works at the source introduced Adam to me as a doctor… I will never understand. This is the first time I got an overwhelming sense of home sickness. For a moment I thought I don’t want to be here. I don’t know where I wanted to be, but just not here. I just got back from the funeral about 30-minutes ago. They talked about the accident. The vehicle Adam was in had gotten a flat tire and the driver was loosing control. Adam jumped out trying to escape and died instantly. The two other men in the vehicle, one died and the other is still in critical condition. The other man that died, I knew him also although not as well. His name is Moses. He was the manager of the source. He is leaving behind his wife and three kids…. All, also acquaintances from the source café. To make matters worse, when the crash happened locals that saw the crash started stealing all the things that got scattered, including stripping all the men naked and taking their clothes….instead of helping them. I don’t understand this, I never will. Please pray for Adam’s family in Oregon. Also for Spencer and Emily and all the source café missionaries (I think there are three families here). Jess was also a good friend to Adam. I think we are both coping okay and we will be fine. Its just hard. Okay, well I don’t know what else to say. Please know that really I am fine, it is one of those times to just draw close to the presence of God and just rest there for some time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home