Wednesday, November 29, 2006

ZANZIBAR

Zanzibar!!!! Here I am!!!! I can’t believe how amazing and beautiful it is here… wait a minute, your probably thinking how and when and why did I get here… let me explain!
I was really hoping for a mental health holiday but didn’t have the funds for it… so I prayed and seriously God heard my prayers and money was sent…so, here I am! Why not go at Christmas time you ask… well jess’ visa was expiring on Dec. 6th so we needed to travel before that, so we went now. I can’t believe it, really I can’t. We traveled by bus, 30-hours… it was crazy, at times we were only driving 5-10mph because the roads were so bad the bus would have fallen apart if we had gone any faster along the dirt roads… we traveled through Uganda, to Kenya into Tanzania… Tanzania has such a beautiful countryside and people! As soon as we crossed the boarder we saw people like in the national geographic, I tried to catch a picture as the bus drove quickly by but was unsuccessful (yes, you can say I have turned into a total tourist for 2-weeks.) but the men and women were beautiful. They had complete native attire. Women with 5-6 piercing through their ears with cow-bones stuck through… men and women all wearing wraps, kind of like dresses but the men had these capes on also. The men and young boys all carried walking sticks, or canes with them everywhere. I even saw a man dressed like this ridding a bicycle …I wish I had a picture. The whole ride was amazing and beautiful. Tanzania’s has some beautiful mountains,…ahhhh I really can’t believe I am here, it is absolutely amazing. We traveled by a speedy boat across the Indian Ocean to Zanzibar. I couldn’t believe how fast this boat traveled after the boats I have been ridding, it was like a space shuttle :) We are staying in Stone Towne for 2-nights and then will get a bungalow on a beach for a few nights! Stone-Towne is incredible, I feel as though I am traveling through Italy or somewhere in Europe. All buildings are huge and made out of, you guessed it… stones… ;) it is so amazing, okay I am really trying to stop smiling at this silly computer, someone might get the wrong idea :) oh yeah, and Janet, the food you sent was perfect for traveling 30-hours, I loved the rice-cracker things (wasabii ones), we have even saved some for the way home!!! Thank you so much!!! I didn’t realize how much I needed a break until now, I even ordered two cappuccino frappies at dinner tonight!!! I can’t believe I did it, but now I am laughing. I love you all and am so so so thankful right now! Wow, I am on a real holiday!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Amanda Davies!!!!!!!!!!
Lorinda Roy
I am thankful that you get to take a vacation. I want you to post some of your pictures so we can see the ocean and the people you described. It sounds so wonderful.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Thanks for loving me Ms. Roy!!!!!!!! i too am so thanful for this trip! my pictures have been taking hours to upload, i will try next time i am on the mainland to upload a few... no promises but i'll try! love you!

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home