Saturday, January 27, 2007

back in the swing...

I am putting up two posts today. Please don't miss my Post below on my friend Adam after reading this one. thank you!


So I am back in the swing of ‘school’ again, although it has not technically started yet. We have been busy getting the school ready, trying to encourage the builders to build the hostels well but quickly, getting all of the papers ready for registration of new students, encouraging our Senior 4 Candidate Class which has come early to study hard because they have their big examination at the end of this year, creating next years time-table, and so much. We are so fortunate to have such great teachers returning, four of which have already come back… two to teach, one because he just loves the school and another to help with some administration work around the school. We currently have money for three hostels but are lacking enough for all four. Hopefully the photo I want to show you of the hostels uploads, but sometimes those things are so so stubborn!!! Computers here are always a joy! I uploaded a picture of Pastor Waboka mudding the new hostels!

We are looking for various supporters of the school…. Whether big or small…. We need to get bunk beds for the students, so they are not putting a mattress on the mudd floor of the mudd hutt hostel. We are looking to build a fence around the school compound not only for security but to keep the animals out so we can actually grow a garden and all the veggies will not get eaten! We are looking for monthly supporters for school upkeep. You may be thinking shouldn’t the school tuition be covering all of these costs, but it doesn’t even come close to covering all of these costs. The islands are a very very poor community and they lack even the $3 to send their kids to primary (elementary) school most times. So we are trying to make the fee’s as affordable as possible but they are still high for them. I think about the scripture from Hosea 4:6… “my people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.” I don’t want to see that happen at the islands so I am seeking out ways to see to it that this small island school will be lasting!

So February is quickly approaching. And I am excited to say I have church family coming over! I can’t wait to see them and to host them here in Uganda! And I am excited for all of you that sent goodies with them for me J I can’t wait to see what’s in store for me! I love suprises! Then at the end of February I have to travel (take a short trip across the boarder, again to renew my visa). This will be a very short excursion as I am really missing the islands. Please pray for safe travels for me as I go. So February will fly by and March will be here, and come march I will only have 3-4months left and I will be home! I can’t believe it. Thinking about coming home is bitter sweet. I miss home, I miss my family, my friends, my hot showers, concerts on the square, the badgers, the lakes of Madison. But then there is so much here I love too. The people and the work I am doing. I really don’t know what next year will bring, I am seeking God’s direction for that. Only time will tell! Well I love you and have to run.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mandy, sorry to hear about your friend.
I am passing on a website where you can read a press release about April and then you can click on her name and hear her interview at the world university games in Italy.

http://www.usocpressbox.org ..Click on the link that reads 1-19-07 2007 World Winter University Games Speedskating Mens US skaters go head to head in finals.

We all miss you and love you!

Janet

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home